It started as just a post on Reddit. The post was a collection of whimsical League of Legends inspired thinking faces. The Plays.tv team LOVED these LoL thinking emojis so much that we had to find the person behind them. We thought having awesome LoL emojis would be a great addition to our site.
So, we contacted Helmi Kinnunen ( @Nemulaattori ), the creator of the LoL thinking emojis. She is a digital artist from Finland, who is passionate about video games, and is awesome to work with. You can find more of Helmi’s incredible artwork on her website.
We’re excited to announce that our first project together has just launched! Helmi has created several custom League of Legends icons which can be used in reactions and comments. Here’s how they look on our website:
Now you can react to your favorite videos with iconic League of Legends champions!
Our goal is to have one for every champ and to find more ways to incorporate these fantastic emojis into Plays.tv. Let us know what you think!
Share and relive the best moments from your games. Create summaries of entire games instantly with just one click. Key features include:
- A personalized intro showing your Name, Champ, and KDA for the match
- All of your kills from a match stitched together into one video
- Transitions between kills showing the key event that happened
- An end screen showing whether you won or lost the match
- Highlight Reels are created automatically for you. After your match, click one button to create and share highlight reels.
- Highlight Reels disappear after 7 days
Why Highlight Reels Are Awesome
What if you don’t have one clip that stands above the rest? What if you played a great game but there wasn’t a single defining moment? Highlight Reels solves this by letting you share an entire match.
You don’t have to worry about over-posting or spamming your friends. Post a Highlight Reel to your profile and the videos will disappear from your profile after 7 days.
Highlight reels are fun to watch too. Seeing one clip doesn’t always tell a story. When you watch a whole match, you can see how players snowball, get kills, team fight, etc. You see patterns that you’d never see from one clip.
Plays.tv does this automatically for you. We’ve started by rolling this out to League of Legends players. We will launch this for more games soon.
Send Direct is a new way to send your favorite clips just to your friends. You can send your highlights to existing Plays.tv users and/or to your friend’s email addresses. There are lots of good reasons to use Send Direct. Here are a few:
- Your friend did something dumb or embarrassing and you want to share it with just a few friends.
- Maybe you and your friends are just being silly and made a bunch of funny clips.
- You might have had a terrible game and want to share your mistakes with friends so they can help you improve
Whatever your reason, Send Direct makes it easier for you to send videos in a more private way to just your friends.
Our coaching contest was a huge success! Thanks to everyone for spreading the word.
In case you were wondering how it went, both winners were able to coordinate with Parth and get really good gameplay coaching from it.
The winners were (Twitter handles only):
And the runners up were:
One of the winners, @ZadyEnglish, told us this about his experience:
I learned to to take advantage of playing my main role (Caitlyn) and how to play her more complex. I also learned what to do in certain scenarios, how to think, where to go etc… How to play against different champions and junglers, where to ward, what supports are good with Caitlyn and what the supports should do in certain scenarios. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to evolve as a league player. :)
Here are some highlights from the coaching sessions via notes from Parth:
Continue reading How’d the Parth coaching sessions go? Let’s talk about it!
Add a custom intro personalized to your champ for League of Legends!
- Show off your favorite champion plays in style.
- No matter what you main, you can now add a short intro to your LoL videos that features the champion played.
- Sometimes showing is better than telling, check it out (page refresh may be needed):
- If an automatic bookmark was selected, the type of highlight will display (for example: kill, assist, etc.)
- Here’s where the toggle lives for those interested:
- React to videos with a bit more emotion now. Let people know you more than Like them; you Fire Like them.
- Choose to laugh, cry, or thinking_face when all else fails. There’s more too!
- Unlisted videos no longer show up for others on your profile page; only you (and you alone).
- 56 more stickers added for your video decorating needs.
- Fixed some DX12 issues.
- Fixed an issue where double-clicking some client buttons lead to a maximized window.
Without content creators we wouldn’t have so many great videos to watch. We want to reward those that go the extra mile and want them to be recognized for their efforts.
Let us know what you would want out of a partner program so we can make it awesome. Fill out the following and we may contact you for more detailed info on what you’d benefit from the most. Continue reading Wish Plays.tv Had a Partner Program? Help Us Get Started
UPDATE: Amazon Web Services has fixed the issue and we are back to normal.
Hey everyone! Wanted to give you a heads up on some web issues we are having today. We use Amazon Web Services (“AWS”), to host content like videos and images for Plays.tv. AWS is experiencing “Increased Error Rates” today.
Plays.tv will still automatically record your games and let you replay them. But you may have problems with watching and uploading videos to Plays.tv. Here’s the latest status from AWS:
Increased Error Rates
Update at 10:33 AM PST: We’re continuing to work to remediate the availability issues for Amazon S3 in US-EAST-1. AWS services and customer applications depending on S3 will continue to experience high error rates as we are actively working to remediate the errors in Amazon S3.
For more info and up-to-date status: AWS Health Dashboard. Please send flowers, cards, and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Browsing videos and customizing your recording experience just got easier
- Check out the new Explore pages:
- The main page has a bird’s eye view of the hottest videos.
- Each game also gets it’s own page to narrow things down: from Overwatch to ETS2.
- Your preferences have a shiny new update:
- The menu has a new full-sized, night-themed UI.
- Push-to-Talk has been added to Audio; no more ambient background noise added to your videos, unless you’re into that sort of thing.
- Manage Applications gives you real authority over which games get recorded, and which don’t.
- In-Game Overlay has more info and control over what you see, or keep it minimal. The power is yours!
We’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s get started.
- Manage which applications get recorded. Now you don’t have to record all your Hatoful Boyfriend sessions!
- New status bar overlay helps you keep track of your recording time and bookmark hotkey (you can also turn it off for that minimalist look).
- Push-to-Talk is in! Choose when people hear your lovely voice.
For more details on those additions and more, let’s dive in.
Continue reading New Preferences: Lots of changes, but we’ve got pics!